Tuesday, August 28, 2012

The Adventure Begins

"Man cannot discover new oceans unless he has the courage to lose sight of the shore."
- Andre Gide

  Andre Gide is a French writer who worked during the first half of the 1900's.  Granted, I have read little of his work, but I love this quote.  It also aptly describes much of my view on life.  I believe fully in repeatedly leaving your comfort zone and traveling on to new people, places, and ideas.  This method of madness has served me well in my travels both close and far from home.
  This next adventure, that I hope you join me on, will be one of social and cultural study.  I will be examining the contemporary world and how it has reacted to the creation of this new new media (see video).
  It is an incredible subject to be examining now that the world has fully embraced this new advance in both technology and communication beyond the internet.  new new media has already changed the way we work, communicate, explore, travel, research, think, and essentially everything else!
  I will be posting more videos, photos, and links to news stories and studies pertaining to the subject and how society has either changed the flow of technology or been changed by it.  I hope you join me for this wild ride backwards into the future!

3 comments:

  1. Thanks for this video! I didn't know there was a second edition for Levinson's "New New Media." I am glad I stopped by here. Keep it up!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Have the courage to lose sight of the shore however remember how sailors react to coming ashore after a long time at sea; wobbly, a diminshment of balance. New new media that puts people in touch in real time (Skype) helps retain social abilities. Whereas I believe (from seeing the new generation who only communicate sequentially e.g. chatting) and without social feedback and non-verbal and inflective verbal clues there will be a real diminishment of social ease and communication skills. Just an opinion and a caution. Remember your mom's argument that people don't need to be taught to write with pens anymore because they can all just type? Same thing from an interactive and social skill set standpoint and it concerns me.

    I will follow your journey Merlin

    ReplyDelete
  3. I both agree and disagree. I believe there will be a further schism in those who can communicate effectively in a classic way and will still be able to see the social relevance of common social cues. In seeing these, those who practice them will be able to find a way to translate these non-verbal and inflection clues into use in a social media setting. Emotocons are a primitive version of these. and much like how art as a whole has expanded far beyond cave paintings these social clues with expand far beyond emotocons.
    However, like I stated before there will be a schism and those who are unable to recognize the significance of these operational social clues will be left behind in the mass communication. Their ability and confidence in interpersonal communication will diminish and we will see a collection of folks type "g2g" or "where r u" instead of "I've got to run" or "are you on your way."
    Excellent point though, and excellent use of the sailor metaphor.

    ReplyDelete